Press Kit for Glow
Table of Contents
Glow Press Release
Glow Fact Sheet
Megan E. Bryant has written more than 250 children's books (including a New York Times bestseller) for ages ranging from babies to teens. Two of her books, Mythlopedia: Oh My Gods! and Mythlopedia: She's All That! were named 2009 VOYA Nonfiction Honor Books. As a former children's book editor, Megan had the opportunity to edit more than 325 books and learn the inner workings of the publishing industry, experience that she uses to help emerging writers navigate a complex industry. Megan will have eight new books launching in 2016 and 2017, including a new series from Scholastic called Pocket Geniuses and her YA debut, Glow.
Click here to read Megan's full bio
Download the Glow Press Release
"Bryant brilliantly lures readers into an engaging mystery, a page-turner that begins beneath layers revealed in both paintings and chapters. A riveting story of ambitious and self-sufficient women, both in the present and past."
Kirkus, starred review (Read the full review)
"I used to worry about the dark. When it's dark, your whole life can spiral out of control. But there's a certain kind of light I should have been afraid of all along."
Separated by the span of a century, two girls are drawn to the same dangerous secret. With her college plans wiped out by her mother's financial problems, Julie's stuck in a dead-end job, watching her best friend move on without her. A chance discovery of antique paintings with hidden glowing images captivates Julie and leaves her determined to learn the identity of the artist—even as she is haunted by the paintings' increasingly nightmarish images.
One hundred years earlier, Lydia spends her days in a factory painting luminous watch dials for soldiers; her nights are devoted to writing letters to her beloved on the front lines of the Great War. Lydia hopes the factory, and its exciting new scientific paint, will provide her whole family with a brighter future.
As Julie's obsession with the mysterious paintings mounts, truths about the Radium Girls—and her own complicated relationships—are revealed. But will she uncover the secret of the luminous paintings before putting herself and everyone she loves at risk?
Download the Glow Fact Sheet
- Hardcover: 272 pages
- Publisher: Albert Whitman & Company (September 1, 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 080752963X
- ISBN-13: 978-0807529638
- Trim size: 5.50(w) x 8.00(h)
Suggested Interview Questions
- How did you become interested in writing about the Radium Girls?
- Why did you choose to tell this story with two narrators, including a modern teenager?
- What was your writing process like?
- What sort of research did you conduct for this book?
- What surprised you most about your research?
- How does your experience teaching at the college level informs this book?
- Why do you think the Radium Girls and the World War I era are experiencing renewed interest?
- You've written hundreds of books for younger readers. How did you adjust your style to write for young adults?
- Which elements of the Radium Girls' story do you think will appeal to modern readers?
- What do you hope this book will accomplish?
To download a high-resolution jpg suitable for both print and online media, click the thumbnail image to get a larger version, then right mouse click and choose the "Save As..." option (PC) or press the Control key and choose "Save Image As..." (Mac).